ENGLISH STILL RETAINS TRADITIONAL POPULARITY IN NEW WAR PROGRAM

"Calm rising through change and through storm", English has retained its traditional popularity, and with 267 concentrators is second only to Government. This large number can be accounted for by the universal interest of its subject matter, and a department which includes names like Matthiessen, Miller, Levin, Jones, Murdock, and Spencer.

The pressure of accelerated wartime programs may force the Department to change its requirements radically, and the prospective concentrator should not consider the present setup as final. For the past two years, the Department has been trying a new way of covering the vast field of English Literature. Six roughly chronological groups have been set up and each one subdivided into subjects like poetry, drama, fiction, or individual authors. All this is explained in detail in the tutorial bibliography, which future concentrators should purchase at the Coop and look over. The groups which are listed in the bibliography are covered in tutorial and in regular course work.

Formerly, the Junior Divisional for honors and the Senior Generals were given to test one subject from each of the six groups. In the future, these tests will be given in a man's last term. Another hurdle is the Bible-Shakespeare-Ancient Authors examination which will be given this fall, but may be abandoned thereafter.

The six-division plan is well thought of by English concentrators. Opinions on the value of tutorial work vary with the tutor, but the consensus is that it is not only worthwhile but often more valuable than class work.

Eng. I Required

English I is the basic course in the field, and is the only one required by the department. Although it must cover the whole of English Literature at express train speed, it should give the prospective concentrator a fair idea of what the field is like. Lectures are given twice a week by Professor Jones, and the reading is tested in sections.

Many will be surprised to find that they cannot concentrate in composition, and can, in fact, count only one composition course for concentration. The department feels that extensive reading is essential to good writing and that college years afford men their best chance to get in lots of reading. Concentrators in the field agree, but would like to see another composition course allowed for concentration. English A-1 is perhaps the best of the many good composition courses, while Eng. A-3, and Eng. A-5 are constantly panned by men in the field as being too elementary.

History Helpful

One shortcoming in many English concentrators is their seeming ignorance of even the broad outlines, of English history. Lecturers constantly find that they are over the heads of many men when referring to supposedly well known figures and periods, and most of the period courses must waste time on history before getting on to the literature of the period. Prospective concentrators will find that a few hours spent reading even a sketchy outline of English history will prove worthwhile in almost all future courses.

Among period courses, Eng. 53, 52, 25, 10, and 115 are thought of highly. Concentrators would like to see more 18th century courses, but that need not trouble future concentrators right now. Their primary consideration before registering in the field should be to read the Department's pamphlet on concentration, see the tutorial bibliography, and talk to their advisers or a Senior who has majored in English.