JAYVEE 150'S BEAT VARSITY

Cunningham-stroked Crew To Enter Rowe Cup Regatta

By John C. Bullard

Events happened fast and furiously yesterday afternoon, and when the wash died down Harvard had a new Varsity 150-pound crew. The so-called "Junior Varsity," stroked by Frank Cunningham, produced a half-length victory over Johnny Abbot's "Varsity" eight, and thereby won the right to carry the Crimson colors into the Rowe Cup Regatta Saturday.

The Jayvees' surge has been in the making for less than a week. Up to that time Abbot's shell had held an undisputed if narrow margin over Cunningham's, and even Bert Haines had expressed himself as confident that the "firsts" with Captain Bobby Lincoln, Abbot, Andy Gaudielle, Dick Swanson, and a host of other veterans aboard, would continue to hold its place.

Margin Between Two Close

Throughout the first month of practice Abbot invariably finished in front of Cunningham, although the distance between them was more easily measured in feet than in inches. Last Wednesday Haines shook up his Jayvees, moved Bill Drury up from the thirds into the seven slide, and the results began to show when on Saturday Cunningham had a scant two feet over Abbot for the year's first upset.

Early this week the Jayvees left the Varsity behind by four lengths over the three and a half mile workout down from Watertown, and this, followed by yesterday's decisive, at least for the '50's, half length victory, was enough to make the upheaval complete.

The new Varsity lines up with Dick Sisson, cox; Cunningham, stroke; Drury, 7; Bob Hopewell, 6; Ned Greene, 5; Mal Miller, 4; Bill Haskell, 3; Jerry Redmond, 2; and Ted Wilson, bow.