Mikkola Informally Pleased With Team's Performance in Informal Meet

Crimson Lead by Houghton; Rhode Island is Victorious

Although Rhode Island State won Saturday's informal meet with 56 1/2 informal points, Varsity track coach Jaakko Mikkola was pleased, informally, of course, with his team's showing. Except for isolated cases, the whole squad "did very well."

Captain Bob Houghton negotiated an informal mile, won in the record-smashing time of 4:16.9 by Bob Nichols of R. I., in the creditable clocking of 4:23. But his best showing, even though it was all informal, was in the half-mile, where, exhibiting the famous Houghton kick, he nearly nipped Northeastern's Bob Carroll at the tape.

Don MacKinnon, showing more speed than he has at any time this season, took two hurdle seconds in excellent times; while Ted Bauer, four-event man, got a third and a fourth among the timber-toppers, and a third in the broad-jump. Gordy Lyle established himself as the top dash man, with an excellent fourth lap of the sprint relay, and a tie for second in the 220, while Steve Brooks snapped out of his recent slump with a 12 foot 6 inch hoist in the pole vault. Had the Crimson's Mike Ford been leaping, the home forces might have gathered more than one first place, chalked up when Jack Jackson tossed the javelin 169 feet, 5 1/4 inches, beating "Hersky" Herskovitz by six feet.