Graduate School Poet Sees Bright Future for Bards

Poem On Football Game Among Works

"For a decade the poets of America have pointed the way in social trends, and now that popular thought has embraced their ideas in the war against fascism, the poets of America are engaged in the task of pointing new directions," stated John M. Brinnin, noted young poet who is now studying for an M.A. degree in the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences.

Brinnin asserted that for years he and his colleagues were scorned as visionary radicals when they issued their tirades against fascism. In this war, however, those who condemned aid to Loyalist Spain and advocated appeasement have finally seen the light. The declaration of war, he continued, brought the end of an era in which young poets all over the United States fought Nasism tooth and nail.

New Postle Golden Age Possible

"It is gratifying to me, after all these years of protest against an important foreign policy, to see our country finally on the right path," Brinnin stated. "Now that the meusce has been recognized by all poets are changing their tone in an effort to indicate new roads to be followed, and it is possible that a new golden age of poetry is in sight."

That Brinnin has gone far afield in the search for his subjects is evidenced by his poem, "Harvard 7, Dartmouth 0."