James Shifted to East Cambridge

Changed With Libel, Sets Up Own Libel Suit Defense

Official action began yesterday in the case of Edward Holton James '96, now imprisoned on charges of criminally libeling President Roosevelt '04. Associate Justice Edward B. Calger held the leader of "Yankee Freemen" in $10,000 bond awaiting grand jury trial.

Defending himself, James attempted futilely to have the charge dismissed a he had "no malice against President Roosevelt" and had not intended libel in the pamphlet calling the administration "the bloodstained assassins of our soldiers and sailors."

Moved to East Cambridge

At the same time, James, who made Harvard headlines two years ago as chief of the fascistic, anti-Catholic "Yankee American-Action" which met in P. B. H., was moved from the Concord jail. After obtaining the levy of the ball, Assistant Attorney-General Frank G. Volpe noted, "I think he'll find it a little different at East Cambridge, where he can't give out interviews."

Acting as his own counsel, James outlined his case: "I am prepared to prove that this is a violation of my constitutional right of free speech. The pamphlet was put out in good faith, relying on my constitutional right of free speech.

James to Stay in Jail

"Free speech is very sacred here in Concord, especially in time of war. In wartime, we are told that the constitution can be violated, but we don't accept that doctrine, and we are going to fight to the last ditch."