TULANE TOPS TENNIS TEAM

Two overwhelming defeats at the hands of a seemingly invincible Tulane squad and a 5 to 4 triumph over a more normal Vanderbilt outfit was the lot of the Crimson tennis squad on its Southern trip over the spring vacation.

Although Coach Jack Barnaby had few hopes of defeating the Tulane team, which boasts such top notch players as Earl Bartlett and Billy McGehee, the loss of number one man Al Everts, victim of a mild attack of pneumonia threw the netmen off kilter in both singles and doubles.

In the first match against the Green wave last Wednesday, the Southerners, with far more practice than the Barnaby forces, lost only one set in chalking up a 9 to 0 triumph. Thorn Kissel was the man who saved the squad from a total drubbing.

The next day the Crimson found Vanderbilt a team in its own class, and the netmen won after a long, tough struggle. Captain Orme Wilson, Hugh Hyde, and Lindley Burton were the winners in singles matches, and the Jim Jenkins-Burton and Will Nicholl-Russ Ellis duets took doubles victories.

So strong was the Tulane squad that it conquered Harvard and Vanderbilt simultaneously on Friday, and when the Crimson fell again, 5 to 2, its lone wins came over Freshman members of the Green squad. Hyde and Nicholl triumphed for the Barnaby men.