CURATORS MEETING AT FOGG MUSEUM ACKNOWLEDGE ART OBJECTS SAFE NOW

Conference Here Sets Rules For Care of Museum Pieces

Protection of valuable works of art under wartime risks, long a subject of note among collectors and museums, was the topic of discussion in a twelve day conference of authorities at the Fogg Art Museum, ending today.

As a result of the meeting, a primer of precautions has been written, outlining the methods of protection and preservation of all types of objects, ranging from statues to old masters. Valuable pieces have been listed according to resistance to fragmentation and general durability, and precautions against breakage have been evolved for each type.

Art Now Safe

Generally, the group of experts arrived at the conclusion that most treasures are fairly safe at the present time, and under the protection that is now in use. But, taking a backward glance at the loss of valuable property during the battle of France, and the air battles over England, the conference warned against a relaxing of vigilance and protective effort.

Officials of 16 art museums and collection groups met in Fogg to develop this primer of art defense, and completed the task at the beginning of this week. Among other conclusions reached were a summation of risks that pieces of art will face, and a listing of rules that guide action in case of air raid and fire.

The Fogg conference used experiences in wartorn European countries as a criterion in the development of their safety guide. The new work will be used throughout the country in order to safeguard millions of dollars worth of art endangered by either enemy bombs or local sabotage.