CAMBRIDGE INGENUE TELLS OF EXPERIENCES WITH HARVARD MEN

Mary Barthelmass Recounts Her Kidnapping by Funsters

"I don't know anybody at Harvard but I hope to by the end of the summer."

These challenging words came from the pretty lips of Mary Barthelmess daughter of actor Richard Barthelmess, who is opening tonight in "George Washington Slept Here" at the Cambridge Summer Theatre.

Miss Barthelmess' only previous exposure to Harvard came last winter when she was appearing in Boston in "Letters to Lucerne." She was beleaguered backstage and whisked off by some Crimson stage-door johnnies to a round of cocktail parties in "some one of your Houses."

South American Accents

"They all had accents," the pretty 19-year-old ingenue said of her abductors, over an old-fashioned at McBride's. Further inquiry revealed that these were not samples of speech from Groton, Nebraska, or even from Brooklyn. "No, they were South American, I think...I can't remember the boys' names; it all happened too fast." A rapid peeling off of the House names revealed that the arrant gentlemen were from Dunster.

Yale Wonderful?

Her eyes lit up when Yale was mentioned. "They're wonderful," was all she would say. She has heard that Harvard is "snobbish," but is waiting to find out for herself. Men, however, seem to be secondary in her young life, with her career definitely coming first. She swears she isn't engaged, or even nearly so, although an interviewer in a Boston paper stated that "a far-off look comes into her eyes when New York is mentioned."