LINCOLN'S 150-LB CREW DOWNS PRINCETON, YALE IN CUP RACE

Time Record Nearly Cut; Jayvees Also Chalk 'Up Win

Twenty hard strokes just after the three-quarter mile mark of Lake Carnegie's Henley course gave Captain Bobby Lincoln's 150-pound crew the wherewithall to capture the Goldthwait Cup for the fifth consecutive year in addition to usual complement of Yale and Princeton shirts.

The Jayvees did their part towards making Saturday afternoon successful by chalking up an easy win. Stroke Frank Cunningham loafed along at 30 most of the way, while the Tigers and the Blue were the high side of 34 during the whole race.

Covering the course in 6:48.8, the Varsity was only 3.2 seconds off the Carnegle Henley record which was set earlier this year by the Penn fifties. The Red and Blue was aided by a tall wind in their race, while what breeze there was when the varsities lined up was cross course.

At the start the Crimson jumped the opposition by a half length, after which Johnny Abbot dropped to 33, while Yale stayed up at 36 and Princeton rowed a good 35. The Elis' high stroke paid premature dividends, and at the three-quarters, the Blue edged ahead.

Here coxswain Caleb Brokaw called for twenty hard ones, and the Crimson, still understroking Yale, shot ahead. Princeton eventually passed the Elis, but Abbot was never pressed, finishing a length and a half in front of the Tigers.