Harvard's Army and Navy Units Reviewed As Thousands Watch

With all the color and pageantry of a combined Annapolis-West Point display, Harvard's 1600 men of war, swinging into line yesterday for the largest full-dress military review in the University's history, showed the thousands who looked on that Harvard is doing its share in the war effort.

To open the ceremonies, the Army ROTC horse-drawn battery paid honors to the Governor of the Commonwealth with a 19 gun salute, as the entire massed line stood at salute with battalion flags flying and the band playing "Ruffles and Flourishes."

As newspaper photographers and newsreel cameramen rushed across the field, the official reviewing party, headed by Governor Leverett Saltonstall '14, and including President Conant, Admiral Tarrant, General Erickson, Chairman Robert H. Hollowell of the Overseers Visiting Committee, and other military and civilian dignitaries left its stand near the baseball grandstand and marched double file to the left of the units which were drawn up at attention. As the cadet officers, with sabres drawn, gave the order "Eyes right," the reviewing party walked the entire length of the ranks for the inspection, and then diagonally back across the field to their seats.

At the command "Press in review," given by Cadet Colonel James G. Hayes. Regimental Commander of the Army ROTC, the long times of field artillerymen. Quartermasters, Naval Reservists and Naval Supply units moved out of their positions. The band struck up the field artillery "Caisson Song" as the massed batteries paraded across the field toward the spectators, then wheeled to the left to pass before the reviewing stand. The 3000 onlookers stoop up in the stands to view the massed columns, with flag dipped and eyes right, pass before the reviewing stand