YARDLING TRACK TEAM THRASHES YALE 89-46

Garland Stars With Record in Shot Put

By Dan H. Fenn jr.

Led by big Pete Garland, the Freshman track team administered such a sound thrashing to the Yale bulldog yesterday afternoon that the Eli puppy went staggering home to New Haven with his tail between his legs, and a can with "Harvard 89-Yale 46" tied to his candal appendage.

Every time the Elis turned around, there stood the towering Noble and Greenough product, chalking up another five points for the home team. First he scaled the discus a neat 137 feet for his first win of the afternoon.

Makes Shotput Record

Then he hurried back into the stadium again to leap 5 feet 10 inches to corner the high jump market. Out again for the javelin toss which won the first place medal, and, to cap off a terrific afternoon's work, a 49 foot 5 3/4 inch 16-pound shot put heave to a new meet record. This mark, incidentally, betters the Yale Varsity mark, as well as the old Freshman distance.

But Garland shared honors with speedster Frank Coolidge, who collected 13 points by virtue of his 10-second winning performance in the 100, a 22 flat clocking in the 220 to take that event equally handily, and a 21 foot leap to gather in a second place in the broad jump.

The Elis were put more completely behind the eight-ball with Wes Flint's spectacular double win in the two hurdle events, and the Grimson sweep of the shot. In fact, the Elis have fallen a long way from the days of Ernis Parshall, former Hill School athlete, who chalked up six first and a second for Yale in a Freshman meet.

Three Yale Firats

The current squad managed only to pull down a victory in the two-mile, when Tom Schwiexer erossed the line well in front of Dick Byran; Ed Siemen's 880 victory, and the tie for first in the pole vault between Bill oler and Bob Clark.

The summary:

100-yard dash: Won by Frank Coolidge (II); Second, Bill Eberie (Y); third, Fred carr (H). Time 10.

120-yard hurdles: Weston Flint (H); Tom Smith (Y); Lloyd Pullen (Y). Time 15.2.

Mile run: Russ Farrington (H); Blauchard Lyon (H); John King (Y). Time 4.39.

440-yard dash: Fred Withington (H); Joe McCabe (Y); Max Pincus (H). Time 50.5.

Two-mile run: Tom Schweitzer (Y); Dick Bryan (H); Ted Hodges (Y). Time 10:18.4.

880-yard run: Ed Stemens (Y); Anthony Jackson (Y); Waldston Chubb (H). Time 2:3.4.

220-yard low hurdles: Wes Flint (H); Joe McCabe (Y); Jee Grinnel (Y). Time 22.

Shot put: Pete Garland (H); Alex Wheeler (H); Jack Fisher (H); 49 feet, 5 3/4 inches.

High jump: Pete Garland (H); Dean Hennessy (H); Hogan Yancey (Y). 5 feet, 10 inches.

Pole vault: Bill oler and Bob Clark (Y); Alex Rogerson and Leonard Wright (Y). 11 3/4 feet.