JUMBLED 150'S SEEK TO KEEP WRIGHT CUP

Cunningham's and Abbot's Boats are Still Deadlocked

By John C. Bullard

After leaving Cambridge in their chronically uncertain status, the "Varsity" and the "Junior Varsity" (you pay your money, and you take your choice) 150-pound crews are back at Princeton again today, where they are entered in the A. R. A. regatta for the famed Joe Wright Cup.

Either Frank Cunningham's or Johnny Abbot's boat will meet stiff opposition from five other college lightweights as Harvard seeks to retain the Cup which they have held for quite some period of years.

Penn Poses Problem

Pennsylvania, Princeton, Columbia, Cornell, and M. I. T. will provide the opposition, and of these Penn seems to be the crew to beat. The Quakers are undefeated so far and in beating Princeton earlier this spring, they shattered the Lake Carnegie Henley mark.

The Red and Blue, however, did not defeat Yale by as much as Harvard, and the Crimson, also unbeaten in two starts, should be the choice to continue "business as usual," which means bringing the Cup back to Cambridge for storage for yet another winter.

Just which Harvard crew is which, nobody knows. As a matter of fact, the further the season has progressed, the more uncertain the relative standings of Johnny Abbot's and Frank Cunningham's boats have become.

Cunningham on Top Again

First Cunningham upset Abbot and won the right to participate in the Rowe Cup. Then Abbot regained his prestige of last year by beating Cunningham and thus going on to win the Goldthwait Cup for Bert Haines.

Haines decided to leave the Crimson shells at Princeton over the week, since today's race, as well as last Saturday's is scheduled for Lake Carnegie. During the past week, rowing in heavy boats, Cunningham has reasserted himself, defeating Abbot by a half-length in a fast Henley time trial.

Therefore, as the two crews left, it looked as though it would be Cunningham who would race as the Varsity, but Haines was planning to try both boats out in their own light shells on Carnegie before reaching any definite decision.

About the only certain thing about the whole affair is that the boat which does not race as the Varsity, will get a workout in the capacity of Jayvees, and that is a sure guaranty of victory for the Crimson.