Split of Doubleheader Dampens Varsity Nine's Pennant Chances

Fitzgibbon's Homer Features First Tilt

By J. ROBERT Moskin

Varsity bats boomed out 22 bits Saturday in a mad attempt to stop Cornell's invading Red, but unsteady fielding and emotions forced the Crimson to be satisfield with a split bill. Cornell took the first contest, 8-b, in two extra innings, while the home squad had less trouble in winning the second by the same count in the regulation seven frames.

Floyd Stahl realized he needed both games to lighten his League-race worries, and the division of the spoils will now make it necessary to do better than the predicted split with Dartmouth on Wednesday. Chief strain will be on the pitching staff, since after the double-header with the Indians the Varsity will play host to Princeton on Saturday.

Cornell Roars Ahead

The first game was the most crowd-raising contest the Varsity has played all season. By the middle of the sixth the visitors had accumulated a 4-0 lead, aided by Lee Turner's two-run scratch homer over Cleo O'Donnell's head. The Crimson came back with two tallies knocked home by Gerry Callanan's double with bases loaded.

Cornell crossed one run on three hits in the seventh to keep her lead. Then, with O'Donnell and Waldstein on base and two outs, clean-up hitter Ned Fitzgibbons waited for two strikes. Finally picking a choice pitch, he clouted the day's most powerful hit, a full-size home run to center, tying up the ball game. Bill Barnes, after an umpire-Cornell coach dispute, gave promise of keeping the streak rolling. Callanan reached first on an error but was caught off the bag in an attempted double steal, ending the threat.

Three Relief Pitchers Used

In the eighth, Mort Waldstein's curve cooled off and he was replaced by Dick Harding, the first of three relief hurlers.

With Captain Lou Clay holding the Big Red to six singles, the Crimson batters were able to take the second battle. Two hits, four walks, and an O'Donnell-Waldstein double steal netted the Varsity five tallies in the second, which the visitors neutralized by the end of the fourth.

Composite Harvard summary for the doubleheader:   ab  r  h  e O'Donnell, cf  8  3  1  0 Waldstein, p, lf  9  3  5  1 Harvey, 2b  8  2  4  0 Fitzgibbons, 1b  8  1  2  1 Barnes, rf  10  1  3  0 Callanan, c  8  1  3  0 Clay, lf, p  7  0  1  0 Drake, ss  7  1  3  2 Whittemore, 3b  5  1  0  2 Farley, p  1  0  0  0   --  --  --  --   71  13  22  6

First game:   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 Cornell  0  1  0  1  0  2  1  0  3--8 Harvard  0  0  0  0  0  2  3  0  0--5

Second game:   1  2  3  4  5  6  7 Harvard  0  5  0  0  0  0  3--8 Cornell  0  0  2  3  0  0  0--5