HOUSES ADMIT 786 OF 865 APPLICANTS

More Undergrads Assured Of Admission by Fall Term

Vacancies in the Houses were so numerous this year, both from the high number of students leaving College and from doubling up on rooms, that only 48 Freshmen and 3 Upperclassmen were refused admission on the first drawing, compared with 270 Freshmen and 22 Juniors and Sophomores last year.

Out of the 865 undergraduates who applied, a total of 786 received the good news, 201 more than at this time a year ago.

New Drawing June 15

Applications of those students for whom there were not available the size and price of suites they desired will be placed on a waiting list and automatically will be re-considered on June 15 when assignments for the Class of 1946 will be made.

"Students in this category should not be unduly concerned about not having been given a House assignment," said Dean Hanford in a statement yesterday, "for conditions this year will undoubtedly create vacancies which will accomodate most of this group before the opening of College in the fall."

Summer Vacancies Sure

During the past week, students with assignments for the Fall Term have been asked to report on their summer plans to the various House office so that a list of unoccupied rooms for the Summer Term will be available in early June.

Any one of the present unsuccessful applicants or incoming Freshmen who get temporary assignments for the Summer Term will have preference for permanent appointments as vacancies occur.

Eliot House gets the largest number of new men from the latest drawing with 146, Winthrop and Lowell come next with 129, Kirkland has 103 Adams and Dunster claim 94 apiece, while Leverett, having taken in the largest amount last year, took 93. Lists of the new members by Houses will be found on page four.