HERSHEY WILL SPEAK TODAY

Nieman Institute, Harvard Forum Sponsor Adams Talk

Boogieman of every Harvard student outside the Physics laboratories, the officers' training courses, and 4-F, Major General Lewis B. Hershey will appear in person in the Adams House dining room tonight to talk on "Manpower Mobilization." The meeting is open to all and is free.

The director of the Selective Service Administration will begin his speech at 8 o'clock under the sponsorship of the Harvard Forum and the Nieman Fellows' Institute on War Problems. Whether he will be addressing his remarks particularly to the 50 editors assembled in Cambridge for the Institute or to the undergraduates is a moot point, but officials of the Forum took pains to point out that General Hershey is aware that his audience will include a number of students.

Accompanying the boss of the younger generations' destinies will be General Crickson, director of New England Selective Service, who will join in answering questions from the floor.

Speaks Frankly

General Hershey himself is a genial Indianan, noted for his wry wit. His speeches in the past have been blunt and frank, and he makes no bones of his opinion that all able-bodied men should be either in the army or in war work.

"I want the best you have in brains and even that probably will not be too much," he told the National Association of Broadcasters in Cleveland a few weeks ago.

On the subject of "draft marriages" he remarked, "Certainly we do not wish to discourage the institution of matrimony, but unfortunately in many instances, the timing was bad. . . When there has been an increase of 40,000 marriages in the first year of selective service, we think we are entitled to reply to the ladies who criticize us for disturbing romance, that on the other hand we have possibly put the idea of matrimony in a good many heads which may not have been previously considering it."