Mackinnon Sets Record

Bunker and Garland Place in High Jump

Amidst the sound of crashing records at the NEAAU track meet on the heights of Boston College last Saturday, one of the loudest was the sound of Captain-elect Don MacKinnon's 14.8 timing, for a now mark in the 100-yard hights.

MacKinnon was an underdog to George Gilson of Holy Cross, but he clipped two tenths of a second off the old mark of 15.2 in his trial heat, and then chalked up the 14.8 marking when he upset Gilson, really flying over the last 75 yards.

Hurdles "Looked Nice"

After the race, MacKinnon said he never saw hurdles "that looked so nice" Usually, he claimed, they appear high and hard to get over, but this time they really looked "nice" and easy. His second in the 220-lows should not be over looked either, as the Crimson ace came near to scoring another win for himself.

Blond Senior Johnny Bunker, and ex-Freshman Pete Garland both grabbed places in the high jump, Bunker took a third, and Garland tied for fourth. On the face of it, this looks only mediocre, but the winner was the famed "Boo" Morcum of New Hampshire, who stepped out to a phenomenal new record of 6 feet, 5 inches.

In the hammer throw, Jack Fisher outdistanced his brother and big Tom White to win a third. The winner was Cheat Cruikshank, Captain of the Fort Devens team, who heaved the weight 157 feet, 9 and 15-16 inches.

In the dash, 880, and two-mile, the Crimson runners failed to place, but Jerry Lenane, Sophomore who has been trailing Steve Brooks and Mike Ford all season, vaulted himself into third place behind the fabulous Morcum, and Frank Cromwell of Rhode Island State. Morcum, went to a new record of 14 feet, 1 inch, and had Ford been able to compete, the mark might well have been pushed higher.

Inthe shot put, Cowboy Dick Pfister, in his last performance in intercollegiate athletics, a filed where he has made his name more than a little well-known, chalked up a fourth behind the winning distance of 52 feet, 2 3/4 inches. Not only did that meet ring down the curtain on Pfister as far as Harvard is concerned, but John Bunker, one of the finest competitors and most consistent winners on the squad, checked out for good when he dropped out of the high jump competition. Tom White, another regular winner, also finished on Saturday.