Perkins Announces Special Army Enlistment Program

Immediate Draftees May Stay in College

If you are about to be drafted within the next two weeks, but want to stay in college and get your degree, there is still a chance for you.

Elliott Perkins, master of Lowell House, who has taken over for Professor A James Casner as head of the War Service Information Bureau, has released the details of the Army Emergency Deferment Enlistment Plan. Under this scheme, which is only open for two weeks, any student who knows he is about to go into the Army, but has not setually received his induction papers yet, may, if approved by the Army, and reccomended by Perkins, enlist in this new plan.

He can stay in college, and complete his training, with the prospect of immediate induction into the Army as a private when he leaves college, and the hope of Officers' Training School after a 13 week basic period. However, if the Army feels that men are desperately needed, before the students enrolled in the plan complete their courses, they can take a man from college, and put him into the Army immediately as a private, with the usual opportunities for officer's training.

This emergency plan is only for these who are about to be caught in the draft. For these who have already received notification of their induction date, Perkins admits he can do little, but says it is up to the local draft board.

Sometime around the first of July, Army officials will have the details of their announced deferment enlistment plan, of which this is an emergency fore-runner. At that time, Perkins' office in University Hall R will have the full information, and will be the agent for enlisting Harvard men in the scheme.

At the present time, the Army Air Corps, the Navy, and the Naval Aviation have similar plans, all of which are designed to provide college men for officers in the war effort.