PBH TO EXTEND SERVICE WORK

Comforting Armed Forces To Be Included in Activities

Keeping in step with the accelerated academic program, Phillips Brooks House, social service center of the University, will stay on a 12-month schedule. Added to its normal functions of supplying student volunteer social service workers, speakers, entertainers, and tutors, PBH has accepted the burden of aiding members of the armed forces at Harvard in finding living and recreational facilities.

This summer it will continue to provide student volunteers to the settlement houses of Boston and Cambridge, the YMCA's and similar organizations. Boys' club leaders and athletic instructors will be in special demand during the hot months, and speakers will be needed to lecture on almost any subject to satisfy the increasing requests from the USO and Army and Navy camps.

During the past year PBH sent out from its headquarters in the Yard approximately 300 volunteers to local organizations. Among its other activities the group sponsers Freshman social and extracurricular activities with a Radcliffe lea in the fall, a handbook distributed to the entering class, and a Freshman committee which each year investigates one first-year problem. The Class of 1945 was concerned with the question of Freshman orientation into the House system under the stress of war.