Dean Richard H. Sullivan Resigns To Accept Naval Ensign Commission

Richard H. Sullivan '39, former assistant dean in charge of part of the Freshman Class, has resigned his position in the Dean's Office to enter the service as an ensign in the U. S. Naval Reserve.

A member of the second group of students who were awarded National Scholarships, Sullivan became President of the Student Council, First Marshal of his class, and a member of Phi Beta Kapps as an undergraduate, besides making the basketball and debating teams.

Although he received a Rhodes Scholarship, Sullivan was prevented from going abroad because of the war. From 1939 to 1941 he was a student in the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, where he received the Master's Degree in 1941. During the winter of 1940 to 1941 he served as an assistant in English and a proctor in the Freshman Halls. Sullivan was appointed a dean in the summer of 1941, succeeding Francis Keppel '38, who was called to work in Washington for the Army recreation bureau.

Sullivan is the third dean to leave for work connected with the war effort within the last three months, the other two being Francis Skiddy von Stade, Jr. '38 and Christopher Huntington '32.