Crimson Spot Sure If Elis Lose Letters, Numerals Awarded In 5 Sports

STAHL'S SLUGGERS MAY END UP 2ND, CAN'T DROP LOWER THAN THIRD PLACE

Ivy League baseball for the 1942 season rests peacefully and only the post-mortem reflexes of the Big Three will yet disturb the statisticians. The final Harvard-Yale clash and two Eli-Tiger encounters will come off during the next 10 days and then the book will be closed.

For the second successive year Princeton has gained the laurels. The Crimson is assured of at least a third place but Yale must lose two of her last three games, any combination will do, for the Harvard squad to hold its present runner up spot.

Last Week's Games Important

The other four teams have finished their respective campaigns. Columbia, Cornell, and Penn are tied with seven losses against five wins, while Dartmouth holds last alone. With the entire race tightly fought, the last week's result weighed heavily on these teams' standings.

Cornell took two from Dartmouth and dropped another to Columbia. A week ago the Ithacans were on the bottom of the heap and the Indians tied for second. Only Princeton has spurted out leaving the others to stew with the pack.

Team batting and fielding averages have changed little in the past week; however, except for the Tigers assuming their rightful lead in both categories.

Crimson Second in Hitting

The Crimson advanced a post in both departments. Although the squad dropped its collective batting average from 278 to 271 it still overtook Dartmouth and now holds second. In fielding, by playing faultless ball against Yale, it advanced from fifth to fourth place.

Individual batting was less successful for the Crimson with Mort Waldstein going hitless in two games and dropping from first to fourth place. He is still in the running for the Blair Bat but will have to do some heavy slugging to capture it.

Cleo O'Donnell made his first appearance in the leading batters' ranks this week with a 381 average and stands as the number two Harvard batter. Bart Harvey, Ned Fitzgibbons, and Lou Clay follow within 50 points of him.

Harvey No. 1 Base Thief

Harvey jumped into the lead of the League base stealers by virtue of his three free bases last Saturday. His closest rival for the annual Princeton probably face again this Saturday. A. A. cup is Tiger Captain Bill MacCoy, who with five steals still has two contests to make up his deficit.

Under pitching records, two "relief" hurlers top the League with two winds and no defeats each. Warren Berg, who took credit for the Yale win, and Johnnio Eide, who beat Harvard a week ago, led the Ivy pitchers. LeRoy Talcott, however, with seven victories and one loss, has done the most complete job.

Both Lou Clay and Waldstein are on the 500 fence, but the latter heads the roster with 39 strikeouts, one ahead of Ted Harrison of Yale, whom he will. EASTERN INTERCOLLEGIATE BASEBALL LEAGUE Standing of the Teams   Won  Lost  Tied  Pct. Princeton  9  1  0  .900 Harvard  5  4  0  .555 Yale  3  4  1  .438 *Columbia  5  7  0  .417 *Cornell  5  7  0  .417 *Pennsylvania  5  7  0  .417 *Dartmouth  3  5  1  .389 *Completed schedule