Crimson Nine Beats Devens

Harvard Rally Wins 2nd Game With Army

The Varsity ball team invaded the enemy's camp Wednesday afternoon and reemphasized its earlier defeat of the Lovell Hospital of Fort Devens with a 12 to 6 victory. Although the home squad outhit the victors, the Crimson came up from behind in the final two frames to cinch the game.

This afternoon the Varsity will meet a team from General Headquarters of the First Corps Area and tomorrow will travel to Providence to finish its schedule for the week with a contest with Brown. Today's match will start at 4 and the one against the Bruins at 3 o'clock.

Crimson Ahead First

Wednesday the Crimson took an early 3-0 lead which Fort Devens promptly wiped out, sending starter Bill Hoftyzer to the showers at the same time. Irv Rudman replaced him and pitched firm ball for his first Varsity effort.

In the eighth Harvard's big guns proved their value as Bart Harvey doubled, Bill Barnes and Jim Gallagher walked, and with bases loaded Thayer Drake came through with a triple. A new pitcher and a host of errors meant four more runs in the final inning, turning the game into a Crimson stampede.

Again Devens could not use its mound star, Walsh, as he was on duty at game time. With Lefty Davis nursing a sprained ankle the soldiers had to turn to a left-handed hurler named Morgan, who played in the outfield last time.

This afternoon Joe Phelan will probably start for the Crimson with Warren Berg ready to start against Brown. No other changes are expected in the opening lineups but Floyd Stahl expects to fill in with some new talent. Only Billy Fitz got a chance to show his stuff for '46 on Wednesday, at first base.