FILLEY, KEENE CHOSEN BY '44

Oliver D. Filley, Jr., of Eliot House and Bernardsville, New Jersey, and Thomas V. Keene, Jr., of Winthrop and Indianapolis, Indiana, were elected as Sophomore representatives on the Student Council for the summer session, Council President Thomas Matters '43 announced last night.

Filley, who prepared at Groton, was chairman of the Jubilee Committee and stroked the Freshman 150-lb. crew. Keene, who prepared at the Park School, was a member of the Red Book editorial board, captain of the Freshman basketball team, member of the Smoker Committee, and an editor of the Military Science newspaper, the Muzzleblast. He also won the medal awarded to the outstanding man in Military Science I. Both men are members of the Harvard ARP organization.

With 400 ballots cast, out of a total of 600 '45 men enrolled in the summer session, Filley garnered 90 tallies, and Keene 81, with Whitson M. Overcash, Jr. coming in third, receiving 76, Richard W. Mechem 74, James E. McNulty, Jr. 73, and High Calkins 66 ballots.

The two men will serve on the Council until September, when another election will be held, so that those members of '45 who are not present at the summer session can be represented.

The election was conducted by a Council committee headed by Donald E. McNicol '43.