USHER SPEAKS FOR POST-WAR SECURITY PLAN

Interdependence Advanced As Solution of Difficulty

Contrasting interdependence as the direct opposite of independence, both in the affairs of men and nations, Abbot P. Usher '04, professor of Economics, stated that we must do away with national sovereignty after this war and live in a greater harmony with more regard for the rights of one another.

Starting with the question of whether we can win this war and still remain free, and whether the war is worth fighting, win or lose, Professor Usher brought out the attitude of discouraged individuals who have lost their ideals and become chagrined. "It is true that the ideals of Victorian liberalism are gone. We must find new ones to take their place," he said.

Pre-War Economy

Pre-war economy according to the professor was based upon the idea of "laissez faire." The government kept its hands out of business and let the market value of goods be controlled by supply and demand. In this way, the errors from personal judgment were supposed to be eliminated because of the insignificance of the individual.

In government, too, Usher said that the influence of the executive was subordinated to the direction of the legislature. The English system, as an example of this, accomplished the opposite. The unwieldy Houses of Parliament are directed by the Prime Minister, whose policies are most generally followed while he has the confidence of the Commons.

Usher says that we must take a new theory of liberalism which is more personal and places more responsibility upon the individual than the theory of self determination of Victorian liberalism. Under this system, we must institute innovations with resourcefulness, intelligence and energy.

"The policies of a free society must be drawn up with long range planning," said Usher. "The essence of this society is planning, for it must be planned not only in form and organization, but also in operation."

"The new society is based upon freedom," said Usher, "but a freedom which involves obligations as well as rights. We are obliged to recognize the rights of others and they have a similar duty toward us.