Orchestra, Glee Club Enjoy Successful Summer Season

Navy in Yard Hears Band Play Tonight

One of the few public appearances which any of the University musical groups will be able to make this summer will be the serenade by the Concert Band to be given for the Student Naval Officers tonight in the Yard. The program will contain many of the band's old favorites, featuring, in particular, the Navy medley played at the last Harvard-Navy game, and the popular Harvard Medley.

For its part, the Glee Club will fellow up its recent appearance at the Pops on Harvard night with a concert at the Esplanade, July 31. Director G. Wallace Woodworth will lead the Glee Club and Esplanade Orchestra in a program of serious music, the second half of which will consist entirely of three choruses from Brahm's "Requiem".

Large Attendance

In spite of the little public notice the musical clubs have been attracting this summer, they are having one of the biggest seasons in their history. Both the Glee Club and Pierian Sodality Orchestra have had turnonts far exceeding anything in the past. Between 360 and 370 singers, feminine as well as masculine, have regularly, every Monday and Thursday evenings, been attending the rehearsal room in Sever Hall, forming a chair of mixed voices even larger than last year's combined Harvard-Radcliffe Chorus.

The Pierian Sodality Orchestra, with which the Glee Club publicity rehearsed last evening in Sanders Theatre, has been profitably amusing itself during this first summer term with sight reading. With more than enough of all entrustments, quite contrary to the gloomy expectations of Director Malcolm H. Holmes '28, the orchestra has been able to take on everything from Mozart to Prokoflef, going over each work two or three times to get the most value from such sight practice.

The orchestra is unique this summer not only for its large content of clarinets and flutes, but also because the Summer School girls have invaded this traditionally male group for the first time. Moreover, it has piano talent far in excess of usability, and it has on tap a harpist with whom it will rehearse shortly. The weakness of the orchestra lies in a lack of double-basses, only one being now available.

This week will be concerto week for the orchestra, as far as the sight reading is concerned, among those to be gone over being Mossil's Piano Concertos in A Major and D Minor, and Beethoven's G. Major Concerto number 4.

Next Tuesday the orchestra will assist in a concert by Putnam Aldrich, harpsichordist.