Council Reports On Auditing, Summer Activities For Students

Committee for New Constitution Chosen

Following up its recent meeting in which it took issue with the Dean's Office on the auditing fee, the Student Council Monday night passed a report by Thomas Matters '43, president of the Council, which defended the student views against the fee. In addition a second report on the state of extra-curricular activities during the summer term was approved.

In defense of the undergraduate the Council report argued that "it discouraged, and in the case of scholarship men, definitely hindered the freedom of inquiry and the intellectual curiosity of the undergraduates." Discounting arguments for the fee and objections remaining, it was voted that the auditing fee "worked a great injustice on the Harvard undergraduates, especially Seniors out for Honors, and that we recommend that it be suspended as soon as possible."

College's Arguments

The main arguments advanced by the College in support of the fee have been the financial difficulties caused by a lower tuition, the problem of control when the classroom space is limited, and lastly the fact that there should be no distinction between non-Harvard students and the regular members of the College.

In addition to the reports, Bertram Roth '43 was made Kirkland House representative on the Council. One of the most important decisions arrived at was the drawing up of a committee headed by John W. Sullivan '43 to rewrite the Council constitution and another committee to investigate the division of the College year into three terms.

In the last report on the curtailment of extracurricular activities during the summer the four hours of exercise was approved as well as a sports program of games with enlisted men.