CONANT APPOINTED TO SECOND WAR POSITION

President Will Probe Rubber Shortages

Although the appointment by President Roosevelt to a board of three in charge of the rubber situation was the second war position given to President James B. Conant, already working as chairman of the National Defense Research Committee, his position in the University will remain unaffected. Deans John C. Baker and Paul H. Buck will fulfill his duties during his several months' absence in Washington.

President Conant's appointment to the rubber board, consisting of Bernard Baruch, chairman of the board, and Karl Compton, president of M. I. T., came on the heel of a White House veto of a bill authorizing the manufacture of synthetic rubber from grain alcohol. President Roosevelt established the committee in order to survey the needs and possibilities and make an early recommendation.

Conant Famed as Chemist

The chemical intricacies of the rubber situation will present little obstale to President Conant, who, prior to his elevation to the presidency of the University, was well known in the chemical world for his work on chlorophyll and plant chemistry, and who during the last war discovered a quicker method of producing Lewisite gas. Assisting President Conant in his duties in Washington will be his private secretary, A. Calvert Smith.