CLARK SPEAKS ON NETWORK

Rejects Independence Plan For India as Unpractical

"Passive resistance has never been complete enough to accomplish anything in the past and has resulted in violence by hoodlums which gradually subsides into nothing" stated Walter E. Clark '03. Wales Professor of Sanskrit and Master of Kirkland House in a broadcast over the Crimson Network.

Although Professor Clark maintained that Indian Independence would not be practical in the present crisis, with the legions of Japan at the India borders, Pest Masani, a native of India, stated that nothing would be any worse than the present situation.

Masani stated that the Cripps mission failed and, due to its frustration, caused a wave of anti-Britsh feeling. He said that the Indian peasants, who composed 90 percent of the population, were almost starving and were quite indifferent to the outcome of the present world conflict.

The anti-British group is composed of the middle class which is about ten percent of the population. Masani attend that unless the situation were remedied immediately, the same thing that occurred in Burma and Malaya would be repeated in India. "A starving nation is unable to fight," he said.

Masani supported Gandhi's proposal of a Nationalistic Government, which would government India democratically. Anti-British feeling would subjects and the agrarian debt of the peasants, which keeps them starving would be abolished. At the same time, India would cooperate in aiding the United Nations forces in fighting the Japs, he concluded.