Girl-Manned Network Microphone Gets Into Grays Hall and the Truth Comes Out

Forbidden Area Calls To Males Over Radio

They had to use a female announcer and female production "men," and the program went dead half-way through, but the Crimson Network got its microphone into Grays Hall last night and succeeded in bringing to male undergraduate cars the true story of life in a girls dormitory.

Inhabitants of the hall peaked shyly from doorways as the microphone was brought into the building, and then, as they recognized fellow-female "Kilte" McGrath, Radcliffe '42, opened up and answered questions designed to introduce the species in its own habitat to the other half.

What You Can't Finish

It all began as close to 9:15 o'clock as the Network men were able to make it, when Richard Kleeman '44 introduced the program from the ground floor steps of Grays, middle entry. With the enticing words, "We now take you where you yourself will never be," he introduced Kilte, the privileged one who carried onward and upward into the entry.

Then, there began a knocking on doors and giggling and cooing, out of which some specific facts could be garnered. After one knock that went unanswered (Kilte: "That's the popular girl in the hall. She's the one that has dates."), a Vassar girl appeared. Inevitably the question came: "How do you like Harvard men?" And the answer: "They're all right, but the Navy is attractive, too, and much more ever-present."

Zhenlka

With two production women tugging at the amplifier box, the inquirers moved upstairs, without Kleeman. As she set foot on the second floor, Kilte gasped, audibly, and recovered to report, "A girl just walked out in a sort of abbreviated sarong effect... dark hair, glamour, an da drooping cigarette... What are you studying?" "Russian," "Why Russian?" And the answer came, low and quiet. "I want to live there." And then she was gone, back into her little room.

There was a Fine Arts teacher, "desperately interested" in her subject. There was a radio student, and the girl who was afraid co-education was "a bit too distracting." The announceress, comparing the looks of rooms with pre-feminist days, found fewer banners and racquets, rather more "unmasculine bits of clothes" on the floor.

Kilte registered surprise when a Holyoke maid said she was taking only Gov. "just Gov." You haven't a very difficult schedule, have you?" said the announcer- ess. "I didn't come here to have a very difficult schedule," was the retort.

After only eight minutes, Kilte had no more questionees. About to turn the program back to Kleeman, she and the audience were informed in whispers that his mike was dead and he was gone. Valiantly the woman of Radcliffe went on talking, while Kleeman, back at the Network studio, ended the program and faded it out. Some say those last five minutes were the best of all