'Heavy Task' Awaits 1946

Buck Tells Freshmen Of College's Duties

In the ceremony formally welcoming them to the College, members of the second instalment of the wartime class of 1946 were told last night that Harvard had assumed a "staggering responsibility" in attempting the two-fold task of training them to win the war and preparing them to reconstruct the post-war work, all within the limits of the accelerated program.

"More is expected of you than of any class that has ever entered Harvard College," Dean Paul H. Buck of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences said. "There can be no wastage, no misspent effort, and no luxuries. We have work to do and we must do it both well and quickly. More than our own individual destinies are involved."

With most of the 677 new Freshmen crowding the Lowell House Common Room, the ceremonies included speeches by Delmar Leighton '19, Dean of Freshmen, Willard L. Sperry, head of the Divinity School, and Richard M. Gummere, chairman of the Committee on Admissions. Dean Buck, who gave the keynote address, was speaking in the place of President Conant, whose war work prevented him from attending.