De Haas Sets Up College in Bogota

Professor Will Organize 1st Business School in Colombia

For the past three weeks, J. Anton de Haas, Professor of International Relations at the Business School, has been in Bogota, Colombia, where he is aiding the local authorities in preparing plans for a college of business administration. To carry on this important duty, Professor de Haas was appointed Special Consultant of the Coordinator of Inter-American affairs.

At present there is no school of commerce in the Republic of Colombia. The growth of commercial relations between that country and the United States has created the need for a school in which the young men of Colombia can learn American methods and in which students from the United States can learn about the methods of business prevailing in South America.

Educated in Holland

Professor de Haas was educated in Holland and took his M.A. degree at Harvard and his Ph.D. at Stanford. He has taught international relations at Stanford, the University, of Texas, New York University, and the University of Amsterdam, Holland. Since 1927 he has been a professor at the University.

In 1937 he represented the United States government at the World Federation of Education Association's meeting at Tokyo, Japan. In 1939 he organized an Institute of International Affairs at Leyden University, Holland.

Consultant at War Dept.

Recently he has served as consultant of the Export Control Officer and of the War Department. Since 1941 he has been chairman of the Economic Section of the Netherlands Post-war Planning Committee.

Professor de Haas has also played a part in military matters. During World War I, he served as examiner of the Federal Trade Commission and as captain in the United States Army. Since 1928 he has been a member of the staff of outside lecturers of the United States Naval War College at Newport, Rhode Island, where he has lectured on the problems and methods of economic warfare.