BLOOD DONOR DRIVE NETS 450 PINTS, BUT STILL IS LAGGING

Army Pleads for 3,000,000 Contributions from Country

Although the Donor Service of the War Service Committee already this summer has sent 450 pints of blood to the Red Cross, Sedgewick Minot, Jr. '45, head of the drive here, estimates that only 20 per cent of the undergraduates able to donate have given blood.

"No, I won't give my blood. I'm too squeamish about the pain," is a common rejoinder used by Harvard undergraduates when confronted by Blood Donor Service canvassers who are working with the Red Cross to help fulfill the Army's latest urgent request for 3,000,000 pints of blood.

A minority of five per cent is very eager to help without undue prodding and many have donated a pint again and again, but the Committee has found that a concerted canvassing drive is the most effective way of including the general student to part with some of their blood.

Adams Leads With 120 Pints

Workers have been covering the Houses in the slow process of talking to each man, attempting to educate him about the life-saving need for plasma in our armed forces now. In addition, the canvassers, all with at least one personal blood donation to their credit, point out the only minor inconveniences and negligible discomfitures caused the donors, who are also excused from exercise for one day.

All men who are under 18 cannot give blood and those students under 21 who are unable to secure their parents' permission are prevented from contributing. However at least 60 per cent of the students are eligible to bring the 3,000,000 pint goal one step nearer realization. Adams House with 120 pints to its credit is far in front of the field, while some other Houses lag below 40.