NAVY BLUE TO BRIGHTEN RADCLIFFE YARD TODAY

WAVES Rate ROTC Salutes, Not Dates

"Singing bell-bottom skirts and coats of Navy Blue ..." No one knows quite what bell-bottom skirts would be like, but it's very definite that they're the new fashion note in Cambridge today, as 75 WAVES arrive for Supply Corps training at Radcliffe.

All day they'll be trickling into town, and lugging their duffle up to Briggs Hall, where the Navy has arranged for them to bunk. Radcliffettes have been prepared with injunctions to "mingle" with the WAVES, over half of Briggs has been emptied for them, and there are rumors that even the plumbing in the Hall has been renovated for their use.

Good Groundwork

The Women Appointed for Voluntary Emergency Service are all Ensigns and have received their basic training and indoctrination at Smith College, a women's institution on the banks of Paradise Pond. Living at Radcliffe, they will nevertheless be but a part of the Naval Supply School based across the river, and will be under the command of Captain Kenneth C. McIntosh, head of the School.

It'll be tramp, tramp, tramp for the ladies, as they march everywhere they go--to classes, to meals, and to exercise. Their discipline and program will be similar to that of the Naval School in the Yard, and those gentlemen will have to learn to salute the officerettes, who are technically the exact equal of men in similar rank.

Dishevelled Turnout

Six-thirty A. M. is reveille for the WAVES, and as soon as they hit the deck they will proceed at full speed to the dormitory quadrangle for calisthenics. Drill will also be held there, on the traditional hockey and sun-bathing ground of the 'Cliffettes.

Classes at Longfellow Hall and at the new wooden Carey Auditorium at Soldiers Field will take up most of the WAVES day, but they will be free from 4 to 7:30 o'clock in the evening. After that they study till 10, and have until 11 o'clock to get to bed. No one knows yet what official WAVES policy is in regard to civilian dates, and there is no accounting for their personal policy.