NEW FRESHMEN WILL SEE WAR-GEARED HARVARD

Former Strongholds Of Class Are Gone

By R. SCOT Leavitt

When the last section of the Class of 1946 arrives next Friday, it will find that the war has made Harvard for the most part a stopping stone into the armed services, a training ground for electronics experts and future officers.

They will find that ivy-walled tradition is not quite so important as it was when '45 first registered, but a liberal education can still be had. English, history, language, and fine arts courses are still being given by Harvard's greatest professors.

No Union, No Yard

When they have solved the riddle of registering and after they have all but signed their lives away in Memorial Hall, the newly-arrived will find out that Harvard has changed even outside the classroom. They will have no Union in which to eat, no shaded and historic Yard in which to live. The Naval Training School has taken over both of these traditional Freshman institutions, and now fill the Yard with marching G.I. boots.

Even the Houses, which they would not normally enter until their Sophomore year, have altered. Strict evening dim-outs and practice air raid alarms will harry their nocturnal activities. If they follow a recently reported trend they will drink more beer than Scotch and have fewer, but more potent parties.

The new arrivals will find that they are represented on the Student Council, but they will have no chance to pick their representatives, as they have already been chosen.

One advantage that the new contingent will have over preceding Freshman classes is that they can make use of new University rulings and compete with upperclassmen for berths on Varsity athletic teams. Already numerous Freshmen have made good on the big teams.

While the normal scholastic schedule is calculated to keep the new men busy, middle group courses have been opened to the entrants. If they still have time to spare, extra-curricular activities are still available. The CRIMSON, the Advocate, and the Lampoon, once renowned as the College's funny magazine, are still in the publishing field, and activity clubs are still functioning.

The last section will have no chance to get into either Army or Naval ROTC, but the Enlisted Reserve is still open. They will get a chance to see some of the armed services here, however, as in the various corners of the University and its outlying environs are Army Quartermaster and Naval Supply School at the Business School across the Charles, a naval training school in the Yard, Army Chaplains in the Divinity School, and last, but not least, WAVES at nearby Radcliffe. Added to the ROTC and NROTC uniforms to be found in the Houses, these service units have changed John Harvard's placid face to a warrior-like visage.

Yard Still Here

Although some of the personnel around the University has changed, the historic strongholds are still here. Minus some cast iron railing, the Yard is still what it has been for three-hundred-odd years. Widener Library functions effectively, almost unaffected by the war. Business still goes on around the Square, boasting its Harvard-inhabited restaurants and barbershops, the Coop, the U.T., and other institutions that have made the Square a part of Harvard life.