DOPE

(Navy Supply Corps Midshipman-Officers School)

By Wheaton LA Flange and Murgatroyd Laverne

News Flash: The scheduled 1200-1300 study period for Company 5 on Saturdays has been concelled. Both companies will begin liberty at 1200.

The New C. O.

Lieutenant W. J. Salmon, who assumed duties as officer-in-charge of the midship men-officer group in middle September, has had over nine years active duty is the Navy. Salmon was graduated is 1938 from the Naval Academy and was first attached to the Battleship Pennsylvania (1) where he served until the summer of 1940.

In July, 1940, he transferred to the Supply Corps and entered the Navy Finance and Supply School at Philadelphia. In March of the following year he was assigned to the USS Hammond, (2) a destroyed, as Disbursing Officer, Destroyer Division 3.

Salmon's next duty station was aboard the light cruiser USS Detroit (3) where he served until assigned to the NSCS as an instructor in Supply in March of this year. Lieutenant Salmon has seen considerable action, including participation in the Battle of the Coral Sea. The lies tenant is married and has a daughter aged two.

Things to Forthcome

The Review which was to forthcome October 20 has been cancelled!

By today, grades should be available but details as to disposition of bilgees are still to forthcome. Again, cases will be decided on their individual merits with the final decision as to destinations and status up to the bureau (4)

Tomorrow, an informal dance for the Senior Grade Ensigns tempoed by Baron Hugo's orchestra, will be held at the Parker House, 14th Deck. Captain McIntosh will be the guest of honor.

Biography Department

Educational Division

Statistics Section

(1) Length 608 feet; beam 106'3". Has Curtis Turbines 33,376 HP. Four screws, 21 knots. Displacement 33,100 tons.

(2) Omitted for security reasons.

(3) Length 555 feet, beam 55'4. Has turbines with reduction gears, 90,000 HP. Four screws, 34 knots. Displacement 7,500 tons.

(4) The Bureau of Supplies and Accounts is responsible for the purchase of food, clothing, fuel, and general supplies whose general specifications are fixed.