Moviegoer

Movies will be rated from one to four exclamation points (I) according to merit.

!!!!--Risk court martial to get to these.

!!!--Worth three hours of any man's liberty.

!!--Okay if you don't want to spend much on a date.

!--For civilians only.

"One of Our Aircraft is Missing" and "Girl Trouble" at the UT, starting Sunday

!!!

There's enough tense action in this British film to keep anyone's fists clenched and at the same time there's no Errol Flynn or take heroism. Add excellent, tight acting and real dialogue, and the result is a perfect war picture. It's the taut story of one English bomber crew, forced down over Holland, and its eventual escape with the aid of Dutch civilians. With little of the shooting and grunting of Errol's "Dangerous Journey", it is stronger on the human side, and that makes it a distinguished movie.

You get the routine feeling from it. It's routine flight on which the bomber is shot down, and the picture makes you feel it's also routine for the crew to plug ahead, for calm Dutch girls to help them escape, and for British Naval vessels to find them on a floating buoy. Geogie Withers' interpretation of the unassuming girl who smuggles them out of the country leads a list of excellent acting jobs, with the entire British crew and Dutch townspeople a group of real humans.

Leaving "Girl Trouble" all you remember is Don Ameche's mustache and those teeth. Joan Bennett's there too, and they have plenty of trouble. Maybe soon Tyrone Power will do a "Life of Don Ameche."

"Yankee Doodle Dandy" At the Metropolitan Next Week

!!!

Jimmie Cagney comes into what must be his own in this one, and he does a beautiful job without guns, touch guy mannerisms, or woman-beating. This movie, which had them lined up along Washington. Street on its first run, is back at popular prices and it makes for a happy evening away from firing tables.

George M. Cohan's life is a healthy base for any story, and Warner Bros. have used it healthy. Old-timers melt sentimentally at the song and dance routines, that bring them back to World War I days, and the picture may even manage to convince live agers that the old boys had something. Joan Leslie provides the artistic requirements neatly, and Walter Huston and Richard Wherf do nice jobs as well. Cagney even hurdles a cane a la Cohan, and gets over it safely.

The second, feature is a Technicolor short, "The Fighting Engineers", which glorifies that arm of our services. It's the sort of thing that the men concerned are proud to see, but always nauseates them a little.

"Springtime In the Rockies"at the UT, through-Saturday

!!

If there had been a plot, and if Betty Grable and John Payne could do some thing more than look like Mr. and Mrs. Superman, "Springtime In the Rockies" might have been something more than a hot trumpet solo by Harry James in technicolor. But you can't toss off Carmen Miranda, as much the gleeful eyeful as ever, whose antics are as refreshing as a Navy Smoker.

Gilt-hero Payne flits from Broadway to Banf, a cozy little hideway of 2000 rooms in the Rockies, hot on the trail of his lost love. It's the standard routine--the continental pursuit ending deep amongst nature's element. It had to be that way. Payne is in his element when he gets into the woods. But this time nature complicates things by throwing in a bevy of assorted wolves as only Hollywood and Caesar Romero can portray the species. Between the cavortings of these over-anxious characters, the screen is crammed with dancer John on the run and partner Betty, oh-so undecided, right in front of him.

When colorful Carmen, garbed in a florist's nightmare, is allowed to strut her Brazilian double-talk, "Springtime" sparkles. But when Romero and Payne play their gruesome twosome, the picture falters, in between, when the lovers art out to lunch or a reasonable facsimile, real entertainment fills the bill.