China Slighted by African Parley---Mrs. Schumpeter

Asia Needs Greater Allied Cooperation

Though inviting Joseph Stalin to the recent Roosevelt-Churchill conference Africa and not inviting Chaing-KaiShek may have sound military and political motives, that neglect of China is merely the latest example of the Anglo American attitude toward helping our allies in the Far East, according to Elizabeth Boody Schumpeter, of the Harvard Bureau of International Research.

Because we have not sent sufficient and promised aid to China, and have left them out of conferences, we are not producing enough feeling of cooperation. Mrs. Schumpeter pointed out, telling of the dissatisfaction of the recent Chinese military mission to this country.

When reminded that the Roosevelt-Churchill conference came out with a number of war aims including increased war aid to China this year. Mrs. Schumpeter laughed. "Well, they've been promised that for years."

Asia Wonders

Mrs. Schumpeter explained that the Oriental question is much more complicated than in Europe, where the subjugated peoples are on the United Nations side. In Asia the people have to decide whether it is better to be economically subdued by the Western world as it has for years, or by another Oriental country.

Psychologically speaking, Mrs. Schumpeter believes that Nipponese might asserts the equality of a people which has always been treated as inferior. We can only hope here, she points out, that Japanese cruelty will arouse conquered nations such as has the Germans' in Europe.

Willkie Warns Americans

Wendell Willkie and Pearl Buck are among the awakened American citizens who have been warning the American people that they cannot expect real cooperation from Asiatic groups until we let them know what an Allied victory will mean, Mrs. Schumpeter said.

She further insisted that we must put in black and white the meaning of every Asiatic nation be it China, Burma or India.

Terms With Britain

We have got to come to some sort of agreement with Britain about these freedoms. Mrs. Schumpeter went on, not forcing them or calling their hand, but arriving at some sort of peaceful understanding which the East will understand.

If we could only get the subjugated peoples of Asia toresent the conqueror as he is resented in Europe and to believe in fair treatment by the Allies after the war, we should have won a great victory and a great ally, she maintained.

Mrs. Schumpeter illustrated how a fairly-treated Oriental people can respond, by referring to the Philippines. There was the only case in the long series of early Allied defeats in which the populace helped the United Nations. This was because Filipinos had had some freedom and the concrete promise of more to fight for.