MARGOLIN SAYS NAZI PSYCHOLOGY A FAILURE

Martin Dies Rapped For Monday Speech

Hitler was very angry with his little yellow partners when they Pearl Harbored the United States into the war, because he was sure that his American fifth column had already won the battle of America by a psychological poisoning of the American mind.

That was the punch line of the message "Who Is the Enemy" delivered last night in the Leverett House Common Room by Leo Margolin of the staff of PM. The well-attended meeting was sponsored by the Liberal Union and broadeast over the Crimson Network.

"Iron Cross" Dies

With the suggestion that Martin Dies deserved the Nazl's Iron Cross, the PM reporter, noted for his part in exposing native fascist organizations and the spy work of the Axis consulates in America spoke of last Monday's congressional speech by Martin Dies as one example of the "confusion and sheer ignorance" in Congress which is aiding Hitler's offort to neutralize American public opinion.

The defense against Nazism's psychological warfare, exemplified by Goebbel's recent speech reiterating the line that the Nazis were doing a great service by beating back Bolshevism, is extensive education by the press and by government service agencies. It is in this educational defense in the psychological war that the Office of War Information has failed, he said.

Leo Margolin has been after the Nazis for a long time. He hunted them down as a special reporter for PM months before the war started, and he's no quitting now. In the talk he gave to the Harvard Liberal Union last night he showed how certain journalist groups helping to put these public enemies under lock and key for years.

But Margolin has not only gone big time in the news business just through tracking down fifth columnists. He's been after big game of one sort or another all his life.

Was Lawyer

Though connected with many newspapers in his rollicking life, Margolin took a few years off at one time to practice criminal law, an ambition which was closely tied in, as far as excitement went, with his reporting job.

But law didn't satisfy his newspaper instincts and he was lured back into his boyhood occupation by an unusual journalistic opportunity.

The opportunity was PM. A group of newspaper men had gotten together and decided to publish a "good" paper of their own. The first man hired was Leo Margolin.