COLLEGE ADMITTED 1388 FOR 1941 AND '42

Gummere Report Reveals Highest Total in One Year

Even in a year which saw the calls of the Armed Forces lower the enrollment at Harvard College my more than 1,000 students, Richard M. Gummere '07, chairman of the Committee on Admissions, stated in his annual report to President Conant that a total of 1.388 students, the largest number of Freshmen ever to enter Harvard College in one year, were granted admission during 1941-42.

"It is noteworthy." Gummere said, "that for the first time in many years the proportion of admitted candidates from public schools exceeds that from private or independent schools." The group admitted last year shows figures of 56.8 per cent for public schools and 43.2 per cent for private.

New Standards

With respect to the influence of the war on admission standards. Gummere declared that in view of the need for more scientific training in the case of boys who would soon elist or be drafted, the Committee has recognired for admission a reasonable amount of work in radio, meteorology, mechanics and similar subjects.

Reviewing admission figures, Gummerece stated that 788 schools, an increase of 298 over the year before, were represented, and that there had been an increase over the year before, were represented, and that there had been an increase of over 60 per cent in the Massachusetts admission. There was an increase in all sections grouped by states, especially in the New England area, and the only decrease took place among students from foreign countries.