Civil Disservice

The McKeller bill suggests a snowman that ends is usefulness with its creation. The bill proposes that the 30,000 Federal employees, with salaries over $4500 be appointed by the President and confirmed by the Senate. President Roosevelt has voiced his "unqualified opposition" to the measure which would "turn the clock back" on civil service reform and place a gigantic burden on the already overworked Chief Executive.

Senator McKellar justifies his plan with the contention that civil service conflicts with the letter of the Constitution, thus making a direct attack on the backbone of the U. S. government. He passed unnoticed the Constitutional provision that "the Congress may by law vest the appointment of such inferior offices as they think proper in the heads o departments." In view of the excellent record which the civil service has had in the past, it would be absurd to revert from a satisfactory procedure to old and inadequate methods.

The real motive behind the measure was expressed by the New York Times, which characterized the measure as a "naked grab for Senatorial patronage." The opening up of a fertile field of 30,000 positions which would be doled out by Senatorial courtesy would set up a veritable Smorgasbord of patronage for the local party bosses, and provide for a return to the unsavory politics o the Jackson and Grant administrations. The corruption and inefficiency consequent from mass appointments was realized when Andrew Jackson's friends tracked mud into the White House and into government agencies. A "big stick" in the hand of Teddy Roosevelt sponsored the infancy of civil service, but the verbal discipline of Franklin Roosevelt has not sufficed to prevent the rebirth of the old child of confusion.