SPRING CONDITIONING PROGRAM TO BE TOUGH

Will Simulate Actual Conditions of Battle

For the second time Harvard's athletic setup will receive a war-dictated shot in the arm when the program moves from the Indoor Athletic Building to Soldiers Field on Monday, Norman W. Fradd, Director of Physical Education announced last night.

While baseball, spring football, and most of the other regular spring sports continue for the specially inclined, Fradd stated that the average undergraduate will be confronted with more combatives as he collects his four a week conditioning credits.

Fradd explained that the whole program is aimed at giving the undergraduate a taste of what he will get in any of the armed services. The undergraduate has come to realize that the calisthenics and other sports are both "worthwhile and necessary," Fradd said yesterday.

The Soldiers Field layout will handle with case the load that the Indoor Athletic Building "split at the seams" under, the conditioning director believes. Last winter, he said, the Indoor Athletic Building was jammed with eight to nine thousand men a week, including service men, using its facilities.

4:30, 5:30 Changed

Conditioning will be radically altered under the new regime, Fradd said. The 4:30 and 5:30 conditioning classes will be divided between boxing and hand to hand fighting. For two weeks the 4:30 will box and the later edition will do hand to hand. The next two weeks will see the positions reversed, and the final week will combine the best features of both.

Jaakko Mikkola will handle two track squads: a regular one, and a newly-instituted military track squad, which will highlight a sort of miniature commando course, with distance and sprint rush jumping, and obstacle races designed to toughen up the prospective soldier.

Intramural House sports will continue as usual, with crew, baseball, tennis and other sports.

Due to the heavy schedule of divisionals, theses, and generals, all Seniors will be exempted from required athletic credits after Monday, Dean Hanford announced yesterday. Navy Sci men who will receive their commissions at the end of this term will also wind up their conditioning this week.