New Publication Announced Here By Reed Society

"The Harvard Vanguard" is Latest College Magazine

The Harvard Vanguard, a monthly, ten page, mimeographed, oak-tag bound magazine, which made its first appearance this week, is the new venture of the John Reed Society, College Marxist discussion group.

Introducing the issue in a first page editorial, the editors write "We emphatically assert that the College needs its magazines at this point more than ever before, and it needs above all a political magazine....We feel we have an important task to do--that is to help mobilize the student body of the University in the fight against the Fascist powers aboard and their allies behind our lines.

"The Harvard Vanguard is a Marxist magazine, for we of the John Reed Society feel that the approach of the Marxist, of the Communist, is the most valid of all possible approaches," it was asserted.

The magazine, combining both literature and art with politics, has a lead article describing the new enterprise, a brief history of the John Reed Society, an editorial by Samuel Stuart '45, attacking discrimination in the war effort, a two page story about the "New Nazi Political Offensive," and an article by Allen H. Barton '45, asking all organizations to work now for the peace.