Fay--

MOVIEGOER

from a Nazi concentration camp.

When, after a year or two, democracy has got started on a local basis, regional democratic governments could be built upon it, either might be hoped that some kind of following the lines of the 35 electoral districts of the Weimar Republic (which Hitler adopted as his Gau districts), or following the lines of 17 "Lands" of the Weimar Republic or the 25 States of the Bismarckian era.

Eventually, upon these regional governments, after people had gained experience in practical democracy in the local and regional areas with the assistance of the democratic occupying authorities, it central government could be set up, probably federal in character, but with large powers in the hands of the central government as in the case of the Weimar Republic.

Such a German government would then be ready to be a worthy member for full participation on equal and dignified terms in that "Council of Europe" which Mr. Winston Churchill seemed to discern as he "peered through the mists of the future" on the evening of Sunday March 21, 1943.