Army Supply

Undoubtedly, the big news of the week was the baseball game between the ASOTS and the Faculty. Enthusiasm, of course, had flared for the game, for not only had the challenge come from the professor but one scholar was even heard to remark, "After we wipe up the diamond with those boys, they'll wish that they ahd been sent to Guadalcanal instead of Harvard."

Thursday, June 10 was the big day. The faculty nine, led by Captain McNair, was a colorfully dressed outfit. Statistician McNeil especially had the eye of the crowd with his green and white pin striped V-neck sweater; Professor Barloon was his usual sartorial self and played a faultless game at right field in a pair of white shoes and a form fitting light tan gabardine suit, while Slugger McNair cavorted around in a natty white straw hat.

Unfortunately, the playing of the faculty was as colorful as the dress. As a result, after the ASOTS finished their first time at bat, it was decided by Colonel Conner that no score should be kept lest Statistician McNeil be compelled to leave the game and keep score on one of his beloved IBM machines. There were no individuals who could be cited for outstanding play; performance was uniformly good (or bad, depending on the point of view.) fray was softened by beer and cold perk. The beer was good; the food was good; and so it was decided by the ASOTS to remain at Harvard in spite of everything.

The fact is, this was a big week for the athletes. Besides baseball, a tennis tournament was in process. Already, there has been one upset. Lt. Stamm, a former champion at the University of Pennsylvania, was defeated by a comparatively unknown Lt. Stark 6-4, 6-0, 6-0. This was quite a surprise. Said Stamm after the defeat, "I was beaten fairly and squarely. I have no alibis, but it was the rubber program that best me--those damned reclaimed tennis balls!"

There was one ASOTS casualty last week, Lt. J. F. (Farmer) Shultz. Lt. Shultz, a married man, attempted to crash a Saturday night dance in Cambridge. Being denied entrance because of a failure to possess a ticket, Shultz said, "My face is my ticket." Said the doorman, "Okay, I'll punch it." (You can still see the remanants of th deep black discoloration around the left eye.)

--We nominate Lt. Adler and Captain Ramsey as Asst. deans of the Harvard Business School due to the magnitude of their assistance to the Faculty.

--To Lt. Culver goes the doubtful honor of being the Casanova of the ASOTS. His romances come on weekends and, go on all through the classes.