FOOD SITUATION EXAMINED AS COUNCIL REPORTS RESULTS

First Improvements Provided in Dunster

Reforms have already been made in the College dining halls as a result of the Student Council's recommendations last week, it was announced last night by Carle T. Tucker, steward of the Dining Halls, who said that Aldrich Durant '08, Business Manager, had requested the House Stewards to "comply as far as possible" with the Council's suggestions.

At the same time, John W. Ellison '44, chairman of the Council Committee investigating the food situation, made this statement correcting several false statements in the press:

"We desire, first, to know how our ration points are being used. Second, improved preparation methods to eliminate such practices as allowing food to stand as long as two hours before being served. Third, restitution of dining hall practices which have no apparent effect on costs.

"Fourth, we do not ask for equal rations with the Army and Navy as some dispatches report, but only that our points be used to provide meals on an equal, with other civilian colleges. Fifth, students comparing food in Adams and Dunster with that served in the Navy found that the food was different.

"Sixth, the protests arose spontaneously in the civilian Houses, and came to the attention of the Student Council. The Council called an open meeting of the students to assure them that the situation would be investigated in answer to their protests.

"Seventh, the Committee commends the University for not raising the board rates any more than it has.

Durant had previously issued the following statement:

"Except for the fact that the civilian undergraduates have to live on civilian rations which, it is a matter of common knowledge, allow much less meat, fats, and processed foods than military rations, the food served in the civilian halls is the same and prepared in the same way as for the armed forces living at Harvard University.

"Frequent reports on the messes of the armed forces are made by their inspectors and no complaints have been lodged with the Dining Hall Service by the armed forces."

Durant was also quoted as saying that no changes had been made in the board rates and that none was contemplated. "Last night he corrected that statement, when reminded by the Council that rates had been raised from $8.50 per week to $9.00 for the spring term, and are now $9.50.

Many of the Councils recommendations have already gone into effect. Dunster men now have seconds on non-rationed vegetables, a non-meat choice at every fish meal, and a choice of coreals is offered at breakfast. Adams reported a general improvement in the food since the open meeting a week ago Saturday, while Lowell, only civilian House not to make a formal complaint, has already had the requested open sandwiches.

Tucker definitely spiked the rumors to the effect that Lowell has been receiving the same food as the Navy Houses, which are fed from the same kitchen, saying that the non-rationed foods were the same but civilian point quotas were adhered to in fixing Lowells menus.

The Committee is investigating the food being served at other civilian colleges, as well as comparing the meals given to the various service units here in comparison with those served to civilians, aside from rationed commodities