Creating A Ripple

By Ensign MARJORIE Willoughby

Strains of "Waves of the Navy, there's a ship sailing down the bay--", the policeman waiting at Shepard Street, and suddenly more numerous blue uniforms at Harvard Square indicated the arrival of a new class of BuSandA students.

To all of us--our billets, our classes, our instructors, the social life--signify "Navy, interesting, and lots of promise." The lucky girls among us who had 18 day leaves before reporting at Briggs Hall are still talking about them (fortunately, those two weeks came between the end of their advanced indoctrination period and the beginning of the new class on June 21).

The rest of us spent glorious weekends in New York or Boston before beginning the new routine in Cambridge, after being detached from Northampton on Friday, June 18.

New Items

Items in the new set-up that still have us going--our overseas hats for wear to classes, marching in squads of three, the alcoves that contain all facilities--iron and laundry, to telephone, and the huge bags containing BuSandA Manual and Menia (at this point we have decided there is no easy or best way of carrying them).

We still can't believe it's true; not having to make up our bunks except on change-of-linen day, only two of us to a room, adequate closet space, the beautiful laundering Mrs. Thomas does for us, and our wonderful Mrs. Rose Chisholm to whom we're all always indebted.

Games

Three times a week finds us going all out for softball, tennis, or badminton--and planning for the time when Company A plays B--and wins.

Our first party at the Potter Auditorium last Saturday afternoon provided--lots of fun, good dancing partners, and exchange of this 'n that--our classes, different stations and duties, advantages of living in the east or west, and vice versa, and whether the Irish are really good football players. We're looking forward to more dances--in spite of the heat, and ruining white shoes.

At present, we are awaiting--our first "pop" quiz (not that we're asking for 't, but--), proofs of the photographs for the class yearbook, our first crew instruction, and someone else to take over this column.