STRAIGHT DOPE

By M.j. Roth

Hey, Army, lookee here; we had a nice juicy gripe which we've been nursing for five months and were all steamed up about it this week, but it looks like moves are being made to fix things. Of course its you melodious and spirited Stat, Corps boys who are the butt this gripe.

We've tried for a long time to rationalize your early morning serenades and Good'n'noisy assemblies by chalking it up to "esprit de corpa". But it's pretty hard to appreciate "sprit" at 0545, when we're in our last dreamy hour of slumber. (Science says that's the most valuable hour).

And, 'twas like turning the knife in the wound when you gave out with "Good Morning, Navy Dear." We write this at 0615 one morning while still mad, but we in Mellon know youse guys is really swell people, so we humbly suggest reveille calls inside the dorms instead of in the alley, and musters back of Glass Hall before 0700. Thanks, Army, for hearin' our gripe.

Wives to Get Break

Now to most pleasant thoughts . . . for some. Married men will positively be permitted to live off the campus next semester, whether the place is crowded or not. So you can stop the eager counting of heads as new groups arrive aboard. And Wifey, we hope, will soon be readmitted to Cowie Hall, on good behaviour, since no great loss of equipment was suffered in last week's "incident" and repairs are almbost completed.

$10 to $15 a week eating out ain't hay (although the food available may be), especially since officers pay food bills at Cowie regardless. Incidentally, bills for "Rental and Subsistence, Harvard" will probably be in the mails today and individual settlement soon thereafter will probably be the word on that.

Yes, classes as usual on Monday, July 5 toldyaso. No, nothing new on fall vacation (?) "plans". Promise to run the news when it does come.

Last Monday's disbursing exam had a few men repeating the old favorite worrier. What happens if we bilge now?" We think it's safe to say that our biggest regret would be the necessity of leaving the Supply Corps Midshipmen Officers School for some old commissioned line duty somewhere. (Gentlemen, a cryptic remark!) No wonder a Middle remarked to me the other day, quote. "Boy, we're glad you guys came before us guys, Sir", unquote.

The WAVES-WIVES dance postponed to next Friday, July 9, 1600-1800 cannot include mixed swim on account of, well administrative reasons. But we are looking forward to a big turnout of everybody and his brather for the dance. Whites or khakis, what's the vote?

These Look Good

An oft-mentioned request in this column is that regarding small-arms training. Please note article in Wednesday's Herald which stated that the Supply Corps WAVES are receiving regular instruction in the use of "22" pistols and the assembly of "45's." Well, it's been agreed that that's a reasonable request, so hang on.

Another "reasonable request" seems to us to be one extra night of late liberty each week. The Supply School enjoys one, and even the hard-working WAVES. We now and hereby nominate Sunday evening for many glaring reasons. First, Monday is our easiest day, as Mondays should be. Second, Sunday evening off would make a weekend a weekend.

Watch for a complete movie program of Collins' Careless Carribbean Cruises and Schuette's Selected Short Subjects in the very near future.

Congrats to Duane Kacina, our own PhM3c, who walks the plank tomorrow at 1600 with Eleanor MacDonald of Arlington. Seeyathere. S'long.