Yale Football Game Proposed By Council

Brown Scrimmage To Be Held Saturday

Pass offense and defense are the two big weaknesses that Henry Lamer and his staff will have to work on before the football team is ready for any games, it was revealed at the practice scrimmage at Tufts on Saturday.

Another practice game is on the books for this Saturday afternoon, with Brown coming up from Providence to provide the opposition. The scrimmage will be held on Soldiers Field after the V-12 drill, at about 3:45 o'clock.

Last Saturday's session was for the purpose of giving the coaching staff some idea of the abilities under game conditions of the squad members Each team took the ball for 15 plays at a time, starting at midfield, and the Jumbos succeeded in crossing the goal line once.

Lauterbach Consistent

On the ground, the Crimson eleven did fairly well. Joe Lauterbach was good for about four yards any time he plunged, while Bill Henry, Ray Eder, Dick Warren, and Paul Garrity made fairly large gains outside tackle. The absence of Paul Perkins was one big reason for the failure of the aerial attack.

Slightly outweighed, the Harvard line was also slightly outcharged. Although able to open holes at the line of scrimmage, they faltered in the secondary, largely as a result of lack of previous contact work.

On the defense, the line showed up quite well, and the Jumbos found the going pretty slow between the tackles, at least while the first team was in. The locals ripped off considerable yardage; however, around the ends.

Between these end runs and the in- ability of the backfield to break up passes, Tufts managed to get fairly deep in Crimson territory at least once in every series of plays, penetrating to the 5 near the end of the game, and winding up on about the 20 most of the time.

The only touchdown of the afternoon came on Tufts' fourth play, when Fortin, their left-handed passer, eluded half the Harvard line, spun out of one man's hands, and tossed a 45-yard spiral over the safety-man's head to a receiver standing in the end zone.

One reason for the Crimson's horrible pass defense was that Paul Garrity was playing safety for the first time, having been a defensive halfback last year, while Joe Lauterbach has also moved back one notch from his line-backing post.

It war right in back of the line that the Crimson defense was best. As a result of Wally Trumbull's spectacular play, Lamar now has three capable blocking backs, and either Trumbull or Jed Goldberg may be shifted to another post, since Swede Anderson doesn't need two substitutes