ARMY TERMINATES McKINLOCK LEASE

Hall Now Ready for Housing of Civilians

With the recent graduation of 120 army men, Harvard's Army Specialized Training unit came to an end, University and Army officials announced yesterday. The Government has terminated its contract with the College for the use of McKinlock Hall, now vacant part of Leverett House.

No definite plans have yet been made for the occupation of McKinlock, declared Aldrich Durant '02, Business Manager. When the ASTP closed here December 2, those members of the 66th Army Air Force Base Unit (Weather-Wings) quartered in McKinlock were transferred to Dunster House to enable the Army to turn the hall back to the College.

Services Not to Use McKinlock

That the next occupants of McKinlock will not be service men seems definite, as the Army has already declared its intention not to use the hall, and the shrinkage of the V-12 unit at Harvard makes it unlikely that the Navy will contract for it.

Whether civilians will be moved into McKinlock for the spring term depends entirely upon the size of civilian undergraduate enrollment, asserted Durant. At present, he said, it is impossible to make any definite statement concerning the immediate future use of the hall.

Army in Mather

Mather Hall, which combines with McKinlock to form Leverett House, serves at present as quarters for Army officers of the Civil Affairs Training School. A new contingent of Army men is expected to move into unoccupied portions of the hall in the near future.

First of the major service groups to leave the College, the ASTP unit was inaugurated at Harvard early in 1943 under the general supervision of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences. The unit comprised Pre-professional men, Foreign Area and Language--Far East students, and a group studying Sanitary Engineering.