Harvard To Welcome 786 Men

Includes 65 Civilian Freshmen, 304 V-12, 416 Officers in Communications School

Approximately 786 new men were introduced to Harvard College this week as 304 V-12ers logged in at Eliot, 65 Freshmen registered at Harvard Hall, and 416 officers reported to the Naval Training School for courses in communication.

The 304 V-12 men started arriving Tuesday morning and were assigned rooms and issued bedding. For the last few days they have been taking swimming tests, signing up for courses, scoring on strength tests, and chasing advisors. Afternoon drill was not new for the majority of them since there are about 300 men in the group who have been in active service with the fleet as pharmacists mates, radio technicians, store keepers, quartermasters, and coast guard men. The group will be officially greeted to Harvard Tuesday night when Dean Hanford will speak.

The new Freshmen began registering this morning and along with the V-12 will begin classes Monday. This evening there will be an informal reception for the new students in the Adams House Common Room. They will be addressed by Dean Buck and Dean Willard Sperry, with Dean Leighton presiding. There is a required meeting for these men Saturday morning in Emerson D, at which time they will hear from Mr. Richard Gummere, Chairman of the Committee on Admissions, and from the Chairman of the Department of Hygiene.

66 New ROTC Men

The graduation of 69 NROTC seniors leaves positions open in the unit that will be filled by 66 new men. The Harvard V-12 unit saw 65 students leave for Midshipmans school, 30 men leave for Brooklyn for Tarmac duty before being assigned to a V-5 school, 45 leave for V-5 training Rennselaer and about 20 premeds leave for intermediate work in naval hospitals before starting med school work, with about a dozen more still waiting here for their orders to come through.

The 416 officers, naval, marine and coast guard, compose the largest group ever to report for instruction in communications. These men will for the most part live in the dorms in the Yard.