TUTORING PRIVILEGES GIVEN TO V-12 MEN BY SUPERVISORS

Bureau Supplies Tutors for Students Having Difficulty

The Bureau of Supervisors announces that the services that it normally renders to Harvard students are also available to members of the v-12 Unit.

Gaining importance when a ban was placed on commercial tutoring, the Bureau has been supplying tutors at a nominal fee to legitimate clients of the old schools, students who have missed work because of illness, who have had inadequate secondary school, preparation, or who have had any natural difficulty in keeping up with the course.

Same Instruction

According to Frederick W. Hooper, Jr., director of the Bureau, the Navy men in v-12,--besides civilian students, will be able to receive instruction of the same calibre as in former years, tutoring being done by experienced teachers in each department of the College. There will be no instruction in Naval Science, however.

Up until three years ago, few students availed themselves of the Bureau's services, although, before that time it was only a few students who did not receive tutoring. For an era or 50 years Harvard men had made use of commercial tutoring schools lined up along Massachusetts Avenue, a practice which developed to a point where form two-thirds to three-fourths of the undergraduate body frequented what a campaigning CRIMSON called "Intellectual brothels."

Business began to boom for the Bureau when, in 1940,--students were banned from further use of commercial tutoring services. Within two years, many of the men who actually needed help and had been ensnared by the schools came over to the University facilities, giving the Bureau the high total of 538 men assisted.